Everyone wants a brighter smile! This desire has made tooth whitening a successful industry. Because healthy, beautiful teeth have a huge impact on mental health, many people seek the boost to self-esteem and decrease in social isolation that comes with a perfect smile.
From at-home kits to professional dental processes, you have your choice of methods. It can be difficult to know which one will work best for you. In a choice between over-the-counter whitening strips and the GLO teeth whitening device, which system will give you the results you’re hoping for?
The Basics of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening can be done either at the dentist’s office or at home. It involves using one of a handful of techniques to lighten teeth. The process often involves the use of bleaching agents, such as hydrogen peroxide, which penetrate the tooth enamel and break down discolorations.
In-office treatments often involve the use of a high-concentration peroxide gel applied by a dental professional. At-home treatments can involve custom-made trays that hold a peroxide solution, or gel-covered strips. Some, like the GLO system, also utilize heat and light to help boost the effectiveness of the bleaching agent.
It’s important to note that teeth whitening may not be suitable for everyone and that it may not be effective for all types of stains. It’s always best to consult with a dental professional before beginning any whitening treatment.
GLO Teeth Whitening
The GLO teeth whitening system uses patented technology to whiten your teeth quickly both at home and in your dentist’s office. You can choose to have your dentist whiten your teeth in the office with professional-strength products, then use the at-home system for maintenance. Alternatively, you can choose one or the other to achieve the effect you’re looking for.
GLO teeth whitening works by utilizing gentle heat and light to boost the effectiveness of a hydrogen peroxide bleaching solution. This clinically tested system can leave your teeth visibly whiter with just one treatment. The GLO system was also formulated with sensitive teeth in mind, so everyone can enjoy tooth whitening without concern for potential pain.
The benefits of this system include:
- Rapid results
- Pain-free application
- Superior results
- At-home treatments available
For an example of the real-life results achieved by GLO teeth whitening, you don’t need to look further than their testimonials page. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Best of all, you can see pictures of how well the whitening works.
Traditional Whitening Strips
Traditional teeth whitening strips are thin, flexible strips coated with a bleaching gel. The strips are designed to mold to the shape of the teeth and are usually worn for about 30 minutes once a day. This whitening agent is meant to break down and remove stains. Over time, this process can whiten the teeth and reduce the appearance of discoloration.
While whitening strips are inexpensive and readily available, they are often not suitable for sensitive teeth. They also offer irregular results that may vary. Their whitening effect is much slower than more professional methods.
The benefits of whitening strips include:
- Ease of use
- Proven results
For real-life examples of tooth whitening strips, look to the reviews for the most popular whitening products. These include testimonials and pictures that can give you an idea of what to expect from these methods.
Comparison of GLO Teeth Whitening and Traditional Whitening Strips
While both products will whiten your teeth, each uses a different method to achieve its results. Selecting one or the other often comes down to a person’s individual needs.
- Active Ingredient: Traditional whitening strips use peroxide-based bleaching agents to remove stains from the teeth. GLO teeth whitening uses a combination of heat and light to activate a whitening gel that also contains peroxide.
- Application: Traditional whitening strips are applied to the teeth and are usually left on for 30 minutes. GLO teeth whitening uses a device that emits heat and light to activate the whitening gel. The device is held in the mouth for the treatment.
- Results: Both methods can provide noticeable whitening results, but GLO teeth whitening is generally considered to be faster and more effective than traditional whitening strips. GLO teeth whitening can often produce visible results in just one or two sessions, while traditional whitening strips may take several days or weeks to achieve the desired level of whitening.
- Sensitivity: Both methods can cause sensitivity in some people, but traditional whitening strips are more likely to cause tooth sensitivity due to the direct contact of the peroxide gel with the teeth. GLO teeth whitening can also cause sensitivity, but the heat and light can help to reduce discomfort for some people.
- Cost: Traditional whitening strips are generally less expensive than GLO teeth whitening, which requires a special device and a whitening gel kit.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Between GLO Teeth Whitening and Traditional Whitening Strips
When choosing a method for whitening your teeth, it is important to consider several factors. As you make your selection, keep these questions in mind:
- What are your personal goals for teeth whitening? How much whitening do you want to achieve?
- What are your preferences for teeth whitening? Do you prefer professional treatments, or would you rather undertake your tooth whitening at home?
- What dental health concerns do you have? Will one of these methods work better with these concerns?
- Do you have sensitive teeth? Will your chosen method make this worse?
- What lifestyle considerations do you have? What is your budget? What time constraints do you have?
Traditional whitening strips can work well for moderate tooth whitening in the privacy of your own home. For fast and gentle results, GLO teeth whitening may be the better choice. Whichever method you choose, ensure you consider your personal preferences and dental health concerns as you make a selection.
Before you undertake any whitening regimen, you should see your dental health professional. Let the friendly staff at Novi Oaks Dental set you up for tooth whitening success by making an appointment today!